বৃহস্পতিবার, ৪ আগস্ট, ২০১১
GeographyNoakhali District located in Chittagong Division, Bangladesh. It has a land area of 3600.99 km2, and is bounded by the Comilla district in the north, the Meghna estuary and the Bay of Bengal in the south, Feni and Chittagong districts in the east, Lakshmipur and the Bhola districts in the west. The district's annual average temperature ranges from a maximum of 34.3 °C to a minimum of 14.4 °C; its annual rainfall is 3302 mm. Its main rivers are the Bamni and Meghna.
HistoryThe ancient name of Noakhali is Bhulua. In the 1660s, the agricultural activities of the north-eastern region of Bhulua were seriously affected by floodwater of the Dakatia River flowing from the Tripura hills. To salvage the situation, a canal was dug in 1660 that ran from the Dakatia through Ramganj, Sonaimuri and Chaumuhani to divert water flow to the junction of the rivers Meghna and Feni. After excavating this long canal, Bhulua was renamed "Noakhali" after "Noa" (new) and "khal" (canal) in 1668. The Noakhali district was created in 1821.
Since 1790, Noakhali district was seriously affected many times by natural disasters including high tidal bores, tornadoes, flooding, and cyclones. In 1970, a devastating tornado and tidal bore took the lives of about 3 lakh people of the district. During the War of Liberation many direct and guerilla encounters took place between the Pakistani Armed Forces and the independence fighters. About 70 independence fighters were killed in a direct encounter with the Pakistan army on 15 June 1971, in front of the Sonapur Ahmadia School. Noakhali was liberated on 7 December 1971.
The swift currents that course down from the Himalayas, does not only bring river erosion but also opportunity: a rich bath of fertile silt that, when it reaches the Bay of Bengal, settles along the coast, gradually forming new land called "chars." The district of Noakhali has actually gained more than 28 square miles (73 km2) of land in the past 50 years.
The Bangladeshi government is finishing up the largest phase of a decades-long effort to develop nearby chars as well as building a new dam to speed up the process of creating new land for settlers.
LanguageThe people of Noakhali speak an informal Bengali dialect with its own distinctive accent.
- Abdul Malek Ukil Former home Minister, Speaker of parliament and President of Bangladesh Awami League.
- Barrister Moudud Ahmed Ex Vice President, Prime Minister,Minister and a leader of Bangladesh Nationalist Party (BNP).
- Mr. Jainal Abedin Faruk. Chief whip of agt. party of Parlament. and senior leader of Bangladesh Nationalist Party (BNP).
- Abdur Rashid, only Bengali Muslim member of Indian Civil Service pre-1947, Government Secretary (Pakistan).
- Raja Laksmanmanikya King of the kingdom of Bhulua
- Major General Abul Manzur, freedom fighter (Bir Uttom)
- Barrister Abul Mansur, successful corporate lawyer
- Lt. Colonel Mahbubur Rahman (Bir Uttom)
- Abdul Hakim 17th century poet
- Muzaffar Ahmed Founder Member of All India Communist Party Later Secretary General of All India Communist Party.
- Sergeant Zohurul Haque was accused in the Agartala Conspiracy Case
- Nurul Islam Ex. President of Bangladesh Ganatontri party.
- Munir Chowdhury Playwright
- Rosy Samad Dollywood Actor
- Prafulla Chandra Majumdar (Freedom Fighter)
- Retired General Moeen U Ahmed(Former Army Chief)
- Azim - Film Actor
- Fakrul Islam - MSc, MBA - Social Worker
- Tarubala Pal - Singer, Social Worker(Noakhali, Assodia)
- Kazi Shafiq Ullah (Kabi Safi)
- Dr Zaker Ullah - British TV presenter and Doctor
- Qazi Abdul Lateef
Liberation War in Noakhali
- Mohammad Ruhul Amin Bir Shreshtho
- Abdul Malek Ukil (Former Speaker) Razapur, Bander Hat, Sudharum, Noakhali.
- Serajul Alam Khan
- Fazlul Haque Badal (BLF)
- Fazle Elahi (BLF)
- Mustafizur Rahman (BLF)
- Robiul Hossain Kochi (BLF), Ex-Chairman, Noakhali Municipalty
- Shahiduddin Iskandar Kochi, Ex-Chairman, Noakhali Municipalty
- Mahmumudur Rahman Belayet (BLF)
- Mostafizur Rahman(Lutu) Deputy Commender and Goanda Prodhan(BLF)
- Gazi Masihur Rahman
- Khaled Mohammed Ali (BLF)
- Mumin Ullah BSc(BLF)
- Shahid Shah Alam (Beer Uttam)
- A S M Abdur Rob (BLF)
- Mohammad Tabarak Hossain (FF)
- Mir Mofijur Rahman (FF)
- Harunur Rsahid (FF)
- Kamrul Ahasan (FF)
- Sikandar Hossain (FF)
- Mohammad Sultan Ahammad (FF)
- Mohammad Ibrahim Khalil (BLF)
- Khijir Hayat
- Shahid Sirazul Islam
- mizanur Rahman
- Ali Ahmed Patwary (Commander, Sector # C), Bander Hat, Sudharum, Noakhali.
- Sofi Dewan, Noannai, Bander Hat, Sudharum, Noakhali.
- Major General Abul Manzur, freedom fighter (Beer Uttom)
- Tarubala Pal, Singer, Assodia, Noakhali
- Barrister Abul Mansur
- Lt. Colonel Mahbubur Rahman (Bir Uttom)
- Md. Nurul Huq, Training Commander, Freedom Fighter.
- Shahid Sirazul Islam
- Golam Sarwar Unit commander of mukti bahini (FF)
- Delwar Hossain Sopon
[ ReligionThe district of Noakhali consists 3741 mosques, 528 temples, 63 churches and five Buddhist temples.
Places of interest
- Nijhum Dweep - Nijhum Dweep is in the Southeast Side of Noakhali.
- Bazra Shahi Mosque - Bazra.
- Queen Lurther's Church - Sonapur.
- Gandhi Ashram - Joyag, Sonaimuri.
- Samadhi of Ram Thakur at Chaumohani
- Megha dighi
Prominent educational institutionsSee Educational Institutions in Noakhali
- (Soft IT) Institute "Software Information Technology Ltd." (Monwara Plaza 2nd Floor) maijdee, Noakhali http://www.softit.webs.com
Textile Engineering College
College and Institutes
- Chatkhil Pachgoan Government College
- Raj Gonj Union High Schoo,Raj Gonj,Begumgonj,Noakhali
- Noakhali Government University College
- Noakhali Karamatia Kamil Madrasah, Sonapur, Noakhali.
- Bander Hat Abdul Malek Ukil (Degree)College
- Sompara College
- Khalilur Rahaman Degree College. Amisha Para.
- Noakhali Government College
- Noakhali Government Girls' College
- Sonapur Degree College
- Chaumuhani Govt S.A. College
- Medical Assistant Training Institute, Maijdee, Noakhali
- Agriculture Training Institute (ATI), Begumganj
- Khoyajer Bhiti Fazil Madrasa,Sompara
- Noakhali Islamia Alia Madrasa, Sonapur
- Noakhali Medical College
- Noakhali Law College
- Noakhali Homiopathic Medical College
- Maijdee Public College, Maijdee Court, Noakhali
- Kabir Hat Govt. College Kabir Hat
- Chaprashir Hat Abdur Rab Fadil(Degree)Madrasah.Chaprashir Hat.
- Govt.Mujib College, Companiganj
- Chaprashir Hat Ismail College, Chaprashir Hat
- Bhulua College, Kashimbaza
- Maijdee Technical School And College,Maijdee Bazar
- Noakhali Ideal Pholytechnic Institute
- Sonaimuri Degree College, Sonaimuri,
- Senbag Degree College, Senbag
- Hazarihat HIgh school BM College, Companiganj, Noakhali
- Bamni College, Companiganj, Noakhali
- SoftIT Institute , "Software Information Technology Ltd"
- M.A. Hashem College, Sonaimuri
- Baliakandi Degree College, Baliakandi, Bijbag,Senbag,Noakhali
- Chowdhury Hat B. Zaman High School, Charpar boti, Company gong
- A. M. High School, Oskhali, Hatiya, Noakhali [Such a good school in the district]
- Chatkhil Pachgaon Government School.
- Vimpur High School , Chattily.
- Kabi Jasim Uddin High School
- Kamal Pur High school,Kamal pur ,Chtkhil,Noakhali
- Noakhali Zilla School
- Noannai Union High School, Bander Hat, Sudharam, Noakhali
- Gouri Pur Girls High School, Gouri Pur, Sudharam, Noakhali
- Islamgonj Janata High School, Islamgonj, Sudharam, Noakhali
- Zamider Hat High School, Zamider Hat(Santasita), Sudharam, Noakhali
- Al-Farooq Academy, Maijdee Court, Sadar, Noakhali.
- Hasan Hat High School,Begumgonj, Noakhali.
- Sompara High School
- Amisha Para M K High School, Amisha Para
- Bazra Bohumukhi High School, Bazra
- Chaumuhani Modon Mohon High School
- Begumganj Govt. Pilot High School
- (Kalikapur High School,Begumgong,Bangla Bajar)
- Begumgonj Govt. Technical High school
- Chaprashir Hat High School
- Arun Chandra High School
- Rajullapur Govt.Primary School
- Noakhali Government Girl's High School
- Moddoy Ambarnagar High School
- Khilpara High School
- Harinarayanpur High School
- Poura kalyan High School.
- Ahamadia High School, Sonapur
- Bamni High School, Bamni
- Brother Andre's School, Sonapur
- Oter Hat High School
- Bhuiyar Hat High School
- Begum Hamida Girls High School
- Gonipur Govt. Girls High School
- Companigonj Model High School, Companigonj
- Basurhar Govt. AHC High School, Companigonj
- Ashadia High Girls School, Ashadia, Sadar
- Bashurhat V V T C Technical School
- Thakar Hat Hazi Ahammed Ullah High School
- Zahazmara Chewakhali Dakhil Madrasa
- Charparboti S. C. High School, Companiganj.
- Sonapur Ali Akber High School, Sonapur Bazar.
- Mosaref Grammar English Medium School Maijdee
- Chyani High School, Chayani Bazar,
- Karihati High School, Voratpur, Chatkhil
- Sonaimuri Multilateral High School, Sonaimuri
- Rashidpur High School,Rashidpur, Sonaimuri.
- mir kasim Bohumukhi High School,mirwaris pur,begumgong
- mirwaris pur girls school, mirwaris pur, begumgonj.
- Modhya Char Kakra High School, Notun Bazar, Companiganj, Noakhali
- mukti Zudda Shoid Kamal High school, Raza Pur, Companigonj
- Waseqpur Multipurpose High School, Sonaimuri
- Kasipur High School, Sonaimuri
- Abdullar Hat Fazil Madrasha, Sonaimuri
- Moddo Ambornogar High School, Sonaimuri
- Kazir Hat High School, Sonaimuri
- Senbagh Senior Madrasha.
- Earpur High School, Senbag, Noakhali
- Bijbag N.K High School, Baliakandi, Bijbag, Senbag
- Nazrul Academy high school (podipar)
- Noakhali Medical College
- Kolpok Foundation
- Fair Inspirit for Development (FAID)
- Theater Reacharch Foundation of Bangladesh (TRFB)
- Noakhali Rural Development Society
- Participatory Research & Action Network- PRAN
- Gandhi Ashram Trust
- Student Welfare Association of Chatkhil Upozilla
- Munshi Atar Ali Welfare Society - MAAWS, Senbag, Noak